Friday 4 October 2013

Week 11 -- Pinterest page!

Pinterest, logo.


Signing up to Pinterest for me is daunting, as I detest involving myself in the deluge of images and GIFs that proliferate across Tumblr and these image-based sites. I also disagree with the idea of reposting someone else's work, as for me, a writer, it doesn't feel very creative.

On using Pinterest though, I'm happy with the site. For one, its presentation isn't individualised like Tumblr's, leading one to think these are all the person's own work. Instead, it presents the pins in a spread. The colour schemes are way easier on the eyes than the column-style and possible overload of someone's customised Tumblr.

I went searching for young adult-related popular culture, and it tended to be pins related to the topic, rather than images of the topic itself. For example, if you search Doctor Who, you won't get things like Doctor Who's poster, but instead a whole bunch of screencaps with subtitles added for comic effect. This is the community type of image sharing of today, branching away from the official sources into in jokes and references. Still, I enjoyed my foray into Pinterest. The UI was less challenging than Tumblr's and the images were for the most part more interesting and varied than the Tumblr reposts. The commenting system also works better for Pinterest, as there is no big long string of reposts, instead it simply keeps a count of pins and a short comment thread that doesn't slowly branch out (unlike Tumblr's which becomes harder to read with each repost comment).

Image:

TBLC. n.d. How to create a Secret Board on Pinterest [Image]. Retrieved from http://tblc.org/news/how-to-create-a-secret-board-on-pinterest

Benjamin Harkin's profile on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment