Thursday 31 October 2013

Week 10 -- Interview with a young adult

I had the opportunity to interview Claire (19) who is a university student.

What is your favourite TV show?

My favourite TV show would have to be Grey's Anatomy - I love medical shows (Scrubs, ER). They seem to have the perfect balance of comedy, drama and heart.

Who would be a rolemodel for you in TV?

At the moment I think Leslie Knope from Parks & Recreation is a good role model - she's driven to succeed in a male dominated workplace, is passionate about everything (no matter how small) and takes no shit from anyone all while looking after everyone she cares about.

What sort of genres are you interested in?

I've always been drawn to dramas and comedies (but not the one's that are just "dumb humour") because they've just always appealed to me over other genres. I also like shows that challenge me and make me think, i.e. Sherlock, Homeland, Ripper Street.

If you could change something about the genre or type of TV you’ve stated, what would it be and why would you want to change this?

One thing about dramas which can annoy me, is how far fetched the scenarios can be sometimes. I work in a hospital and that level of tragedy does not happen to a group of people that often.

What’s something you really look for in TV / movies / books / video games?

A big draw for me with any show, movie or book is the plot, if it looks good and of interest to me, then I'll watch/read it no matter which actors are in it or which author wrote it. I also like to look for other works by that person (actor/author) and then I'll watch/read some of their other work. This year I've read all of John Green's books because I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars.

***

Something that struck me in this interview was how much Claire wished to identify with the media she consumed. Shows related to her workplace were of great interest to her, along with analysis related to the show's flaws. A dislike towards scenarios in TV shows that are break a wilful suspension of disbelief. I would say this is indicative of Claire looking for a show that is a reflection of elements of her life, an escapism that's held within realistic confines, if you will. Fantasy and science fiction are not Claire's interest.

It is interesting to see the discerning viewer present in Claire, who holds Leslie Knope from Parks & Recreation, a comedic character whose foibles are the subject of much of the show's humour, to be her rolemodel. This shows that Claire can see beyond the surface level attributes to where the show excels -- a positive female role model in the workplace that shows a sense of drive. This must be shown in more TV shows for young people, as women being discouraged in the workplace is all too prevalent.

This interview also revealed that Claire made choices on what to watch and read not based upon reviews, but individual response to previews and the people attached to a production or author of a book. This kind of choice by young adults shows why there are such marketing campaigns and deals done to secure high profile actors and actresses for productions. And again, an author's notoriety will definitely sell novels, even if that novel is completely unrelated to what they're known for.

Claire states that she likes shows that challenge and make her think, which I believe is a message that should be put into all televisual programming. Give people media that challenges and makes them think, and the results can be surprising.


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that shows these days need to challenge people. I think it is just assumed that people want trash you can shut your brain off too. While that clearly does work I think we are getting sick of it. I have never heard so many people remark that there is nothing on free-to-air TV in Australia as much as I have the past couple of years and I do feel that it is because we are being fed mindless garbage and we turn to more interesting shows via DVD and the internet. For example the person you interviewed said that Leslie Knope was a role model for her; Parks and Recreation has never been on Australian free-to-air as far as I am aware.

    ReplyDelete