Wednesday 4 September 2013

Week 7 -- Digital Education Revolution: Pencils are the past!

For my first post I thought that the Creativity in my pocket: No 'i' puns here reading discussing the implications of the Digital Education Revolution would be timely and fitting given the recent change of government, and their want to scale back some of the digital revolution (see: NBN) for cost-cutting.

I found issue in the criticism raised that "computers will compromise students' ability to write at length in handwritten examinations". This point wants to say we'll still be using a pencil and paper in the future, which I highly doubt. For me, these 'handwritten examinations' were what compromised my ability and that was before I started seriously using a computer. I'd learnt to hold the pencil wrong, and as a result my hand tired easily and I would be unable to finish essays in exams. I would fail these examinations, or pass at best.

We don't need pencil and paper. Countries as drenched in digital technology as ours rarely use them outside of schools and university, and I would argue that this chronic need to rely on 16th century writing implements needs to change. As this case study points out, students learn best when engaged. If some students cannot write as well as others, it would be clear that they would be unable to keep up. I don't keep notes in lectures because I cannot write them down and focus on the lecturer's words. It's pointless multitasking. What would be useful (and indeed one would learn more) if you could google something the lecturer has said on a tablet to gain a wider understanding for yourself. It would be taking initiative in your own learning, rather than passively gaining tidbits of information in between mad scribbling on a note pad.

The second point of interest in this case study is the implication that teachers themselves are unfamiliar with the technology, therefore this technology should go underutilized. Why should the education system hold itself back because some teachers are unwilling to learn new technology? As part of teaching, you should learn the much easier and streamlined tools of the trade, for both your and the student's betterment. I've heard that some teachers request students put away their iPads and laptops in their classes because the teachers don't know how to make use of them in class. That's lazy, and being wholly uncreative, in my view. Students engage readily with this technology. A kid can find out more on Wikipedia than you'd do spending an introductory class on a topic. Let's get rid of this needless legwork and focus on what's important: the learning and having students show their skills, in the mediums they work best.

I garauntee within a generation these problems will be gone, as those 'digital natives' like me who grew up in an age of mobile phones, iPods, computers and tablets will be fully adapted to implement their use for educational purposes. Right now, we're waiting on the older generation to catch up.

The Digital Education Revolution is here to stay. Teachers that are stuck in the past must catch up to the present, as having students hamstrung to old tools will not bring about improved learning.

Reference:

Derby, B. (2011). Creativity in my pocket: No 'I' puns here. English in Australia 46(3).

3 comments:

  1. Interesting read Ben. You will be pleased to know that I am not a big fan of student's note taking while I am delivering content. I once went to a professional development for disengaged students and one of the guest speakers said this is an awful skill that older generation teachers (and ill informed newer generation teacher) actually think works. It is annoying that unfortunately some assessment requires students to have this skill. I am rather looking forward forward to curriculum catching up with the times.

    Cheers, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like taking notes in class either but I do like listening to the lectures again as I seem to digest the main points better then I did during the actual lecture. It's all well and good to let students use computers but if you make them sit written examinations by hand, they are going to struggle as they will not be able to write quickly enough to be able to get the content onto the paper in a legible way (I found this out the hard way in second year undergrad).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a constant topic among teachers about time frames. I have had students fail Math tests because they simply ran out time, however they were far more advanced than other students.

    ReplyDelete